Food Truckin' with @LaCocinita! (check them out tomorrow at @NOMA1910)
One of the most important things I do when I'm home after a run of classes out of town is to re-connect with my twitter buds. For lunch on Tuesday, I connected with my friend and most-awesome writer, Anne Berry. I got a tweet from the folks running a new food truck the day before, so we decided to give them a try.
We caught up with La Cocinita over by Hollygrove. Nice looking truck! Turns out the owners have a steady gig at Commander's Palace. Busy folks!
La Cocintita has a "step-by-step" menu...
pick your shell (we did arepas rather than tacos)
pick your protein - they had pollo and pork, but no carne asada...no biggie for us, so chicken and pork it was.
pick your sauce - these folks have a good selection of sauces, For the first two orders, we got the "avacado vinaigrette" on the chicken (above photo) and their mango sauce on the pork.
(Rachel, if you read this, please e-mail me the menu...I forgot to take a pic of the board :-))
- add extras. Anne wanted plantains, so we got an order of savory-fried. That's them in the center of the photo above. I got a "Mexican" Coke, which is made with real sugar rather than corn syrup.
The verdict: we honestly couldn't decide which was better between these.
Naturally, we had to go back for more.
Pork (left) and chicken, again, but this time with the roasted corn (on the chicken) and onion sauces. These weren't bad, but the first two were better. I'll try the garlic next time, but I'll go back to the avacado or mango as regulars, methinks.
Overall, we spent about $35 (plus tip) for all this food, eating it in the car just down the street from the truck. Nice lunch!
These guys are out and about a lot. Here's this weekend's itinerary, from their Facebook page:
- TONIGHT: Le Bon Temps Roule for the Soul Rebels Brass Band show, 9 PM-3 AM, 4801 Magazine Street
- Friday night: Across from St. Joe's Bar, 9 PM-11:30 PM, 5535 Magazine Street
- Friday night: NOMA 100th Anniversary Celebration, Midnight until ??, One Collins C. Diboll Circle, City Park
- Saturday night: @PechakuchaNOLA, 6-10 PM, Joan Mitchell Center, 2275 Bayou Road
- Saturday night: The Rendezvous, 10:30 PM-1:30 AM, 3101 Magazine Street
Seriously contemplating going out at Midnight for a snack on Friday...the NOMA 31-hour Celebration looks like a lot of fun.